[OSM-dev] Addressable maps & updated URL?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Oct 4 16:34:21 BST 2007

On 04/10/2007 16:04, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> FWIW, you should be able to safely set window.location.hash to just
>>> change the # portion of the URL, without reloading the page.
>> I need to update the arguments though, not the fragment.
>
> I think then the reload is inevitable. Yahoo seem to be using that
> (location after #), and OpenLayers folks are working on implementing
> that as well, so maybe we afford zu just wait until they do it for
> us ;-)

surely window.location.hash is supposed to change the bit after the hash
sign, which would be the lat,lon and layers (that is, the stuff
currently after the question mark). But you have to handle any user's
change of URI yourself in JS (that is, if they press BACK).

See http://dev2dev.bea.com/pub/a/2006/01/ajax-back-button.html?page=2

There is a problem with IE (isn't there always?) that people have worked
around using a different solution with an iframe. I haven't experimented
with that, but the reference everyone seems to make is to

http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/38/fixing-the-back-button-and-enabling-bookmarking-for-ajax-apps

David