[OSM-dev] MassGIS import under way

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Oct 9 03:41:06 BST 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 08:08:44PM -0400, Brandon Martin-Anderson wrote:
> About four cities have been uploaded completely, and Boston is currently
> under way. We don't have any sort of a queue set up and have been
> coordinating the upload ad-hoc through email.

Since then, I've now switched to the bulk_import script (the same one
that TIGER is using, as far as I understand it) that's in svn. (Before
doing that, I checked over the data we'd already uploaded in Potlatch,
JOSM, etc. and made sure that the validator didn't throw any unexpected
errors, etc.)

We're now uploading all the files in that directory, in 'ls *.osm' order
-- currently eotroads_100.osm is done, and eotroads_101.osm is
uploading.

> * Chris notes that bulk_upload imports are unusually slow compared to JOSM
> uploads, due maybe to the unsorted IDs in the OSM file.

Actually, after doing some more counting/dividing, I found out that I
was just surprised at how long things were taking -- they seemed so much
faster when I saw things happening interactively :)

> * Chris notes that at full tilt the whole state shouldn't take much longer
> than a day.

This was also wrong -- I had grabbed the wrong average size by an order
of magnitude. At the moment, it looks like it's likely that it'll be
somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks. However, Cambridge, Somerville, and
Boston (the areas where people had started working) are now uploaded.

Anyone else in Mass, let me know, and we can bump up other cities to the
top of the list for processing.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt