[OSM-dev] Improving the first run experience with JOSM

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 03:47:37 BST 2007

JOSM is a rocking great tool. However, it can a bit arcane for a new
user. However, I think there are some things we can do to make it a
bit easier:

1. I raised the possibility of merging the validator into JOSM in a
seperate email
2. Redesign the data download dialogue. There are 5(?) different ways
to get a bounding box to download:
 * Parsed URL
 * Manually enter in bounding box
 * Select bounding box on map
 * Bookmarks
 * Whatever is on the screen

One possible way to do this would be to change the methods of download
to a drop down list, showing the various fields as people choose them.
However, I haven't yet come up with a great idea but I think somebody
else might have one, hence this email

3. Add download and upload to the file menu, to make it clear (as
currently open and download can be confused)
4. Rename open to "Open File"
5. Create a higher resolution image for a bounding box
6. Potentially add a list of major cities as default bookmarks (as a
seperate dialog, possibly)
7. Add a status bar on the bottom of the download dialogue (similar to
the one on the select bouding box from a map) to show if the bounding
box, either via URL, etc is too big and will be rejected. This is most
common when you download via the "what is currently on the screen"

There are probably a bunch more ideas, so throw them out there.

Cheers,

Corey