[OSM-dev] mod_tile: Tile serving and Mapnik rendering with Apache

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Sun Oct 14 10:10:10 BST 2007

Jon Burgess wrote:
> I've just committed to SVN an Apache module called mod_tile. I'm
> intending this to be a future replacement for the mix of Ruby scripts
> that tile.openstreetmap currently uses to render and serve tiles. My
> main motivation for this was to develop a more scalable, efficient and
> intelligent tile rendering process.
>
> The code works fine for me on my local machine but isn't ready for
> deployment yet. This is really a 'developer only' release, you'll need
> to change some #define's etc to match your own setup. If you feel brave
> and are familiar with the existing Mapnik / PostgreSQL / slippy map
> setup then please take a look and let me know how you get on.
>
> See svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/mod_tile/readme.txt for
> further details.
>
> 	Jon

Just spent some time getting it working on openstreetmap.ca, seems to
work decent but running into a number of issues in mapnik and proj it
seems. Rendering via mapnik with the python script seems to work without
issue so its likely something minor.

The rendering of individual tiles works nice and fast, its segfault'ing
when there are multiple (on a never accessed area sometimes upwards of
20+ requests) concurrent requests when I try to use the tiles in
openlayers most of the time though.

The one thing that I did note in the mod_tile codebase itself was the
'make install' suffered a few errors, when i tried to copy the .so file
it didn't actually look for it in the .libs folder.

-Jason