[OSM-dev] mod_tile: Tile serving and Mapnik rendering with Apache

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 14 12:48:12 BST 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 03:10 -0600, Jason Reid wrote:

> Just spent some time getting it working on openstreetmap.ca, seems to
> work decent but running into a number of issues in mapnik and proj it
> seems. Rendering via mapnik with the python script seems to work without
> issue so its likely something minor.
>
> The rendering of individual tiles works nice and fast, its segfault'ing
> when there are multiple (on a never accessed area sometimes upwards of
> 20+ requests) concurrent requests when I try to use the tiles in
> openlayers most of the time though.

Please update to the latest SVN Mapnik code. I should have mentioned in
the readme.txt that I found a couple of multi-threading issues in Mapnik
while working on this. They've have all been fixed in the latest code,
provided you do not enable the FRIBIDI support while compiling Mapnik.

> The one thing that I did note in the mod_tile codebase itself was the
> 'make install' suffered a few errors, when i tried to copy the .so file
> it didn't actually look for it in the .libs folder.
>
> -Jason

Did you do the make install as root/sudo? The make install of the module
is driven by the Apache apxs utilitiy so it should be consistent with
your system. Could you send me the details of the errors and the OS /
Apache version you are using?

	Jon