[OSM-dev] mod_tile: Tile serving and Mapnik rendering with Apache

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Mon Oct 15 00:04:53 BST 2007

Jon Burgess wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 03:10 -0600, Jason Reid wrote:
>
> Please update to the latest SVN Mapnik code. I should have mentioned in
> the readme.txt that I found a couple of multi-threading issues in Mapnik
> while working on this. They've have all been fixed in the latest code,
> provided you do not enable the FRIBIDI support while compiling Mapnik.
>

> Did you do the make install as root/sudo? The make install of the module
> is driven by the Apache apxs utilitiy so it should be consistent with
> your system. Could you send me the details of the errors and the OS /
> Apache version you are using?
>
> 	Jon

Updated and rebuilt the entire toolchain one piece at a time, seems to
be that the issue was due to an issue that was fixed in proj in the
latest release. Serving tiles runs fine now. Proj was 4.4.9, updated to
4.5.0.

As for the make install issue, it was done via root. Here is what the
output was:

[root at filter mod_tile]# make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/src/mod_tile'
make[1]: execvp: /usr/lib/httpd/modules: Permission denied
make[1]: *** [install-modules-yes] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/src/mod_tile'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

The folder /usr/lib/httpd/modules does exist and is the correct
location, it seems that the make script isn't finding the .so file however.

This is on an x86 based Centos 4.5 server, running Apache 2.2.3. Apache
was installed using the standard centos rpm's for it, so it should be in
the normal place (and I've never had issues compiling other extensions
for it).

-Jason