[OSM-dev] OSM Date Formats

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Mon Oct 15 23:37:06 BST 2007

Jon Burgess wrote:
> I've updated the planet.c code to generate dates in the format:
>
>     2007-07-10T11:32:32Z

> produces the following timings:
>
> OLD:
>   real    12m44.875s
>   user    2m4.975s
>   sys     0m23.508s
>
> NEW:
>   real    10m47.347s
>   user    0m43.055s
>   sys     0m2.443s
>

> A >50% drop in CPU utilisation by Osmosis, even more if you include the
> drop in system time as well. It is a shame that MySQL takes so long.
>
> 	Jon

Excellent, thanks for that.

As for MySQL, yes it's a big problem.  Loading a full planet is
incredibly painful now.  I'm open to suggestions on this one.  The
MyISAM history tables are pretty fast, but the subsequent copying to the
InnoDB tables takes forever.  I haven't timed it for 0.5 but 0.4 planet
was taking around 8 hours at last check.  I've tried all sorts of things
to speed it up including dropping and re-creating indexes, none of it
seems to help much.  I'm wondering if I should create a new task to
produce files that can be imported using the LOAD INFILE command but I
don't know if that will help.