[OSM-dev] Potlatch based OSM walkers editor

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Oct 19 12:20:27 BST 2007

On 19 Oct 2007, at 12:14, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

>> If you ask Tom Hughes he can deploy your changes for you.
>
>> It might be sensible, though, if you were to set up a Rails port
>> instance on your development machine there, and test your changes
>> there before connecting an externally-hosted Potlatch instance to the
>> main server. The Potlatch API isn't really intended as "public-
>> facing" and so it may take a bit of getting used to.
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> Just a thought... how easy coding wise - particularly now we have
> 0.5 -
> that I just take the potlatch front end and do my own proxy-style
> back end
> on Freemap which calls the normal OSM API direct, reducing
> dependency on
> the potlatch server side API and allows me to store all user/password
> information on my own server?

Certainly possible, but probably not easy - and if you've got the
time to spare it'd perhaps be best employed bringing the internals of
the Potlatch API closer to the rest of the Rails port!

A lot of the heavy lifting work in amf_controller.rb is to cope with
"unique nodes" - nodes that belong to this way and no other. Potlatch
does a lot of work to make sure that these nodes aren't left around
if you delete, or alter, the way. Implementing this via the standard
API would be much easier now that we have 0.5 (via /api/0.5/node/<id>/
ways), but still not a walk in the park.

cheers
Richard