[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] OSM home page map with permlink or bookmark list

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Oct 20 11:52:03 BST 2007

On 19/10/2007 19:43, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 10:39:05PM +0100, Patrick Weber wrote:
>> Paul
>>
>> If you click on the View Tab on top, then the explicit address will
>> appear in the address bar, which you can bookmark.
>>
>> But I agree, a separate Hyperlink labeled "Permalink" would make things
>> easier for a lot of people.
>
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/566 now has a patch to do this. I
> have no idea if it works -- I'll try and get a rails_port instance
> running over the weekend to test on, if no one can look at it before
> then.

what it is, but for most users, they are just looking at an internet
page and don't know or care about this Ajaxy stuff, nor should they have
to. It's a hack to overcome limitations of browsers working with Ajax;
no doubt they will catch up in due course.

As previous conversations have discussed at length, the URL should
reflect changes as you pan/zoom etc. This requires the use of psuedo
named anchors and iframes instead of a query portion of the URL. There's
lots of information out there on the internet on how to achieve this.

David