[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] OSM home page map with permlink or bookmark list

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Oct 20 12:54:38 BST 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 11:52:03AM +0100, David Earl wrote:
> On 19/10/2007 19:43, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 10:39:05PM +0100, Patrick Weber wrote:
> >>Paul
> >>
> >>If you click on the View Tab on top, then the explicit address will
> >>appear in the address bar, which you can bookmark.
> >>
> >>But I agree, a separate Hyperlink labeled "Permalink" would make things
> >>easier for a lot of people.
> >
> >http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/566 now has a patch to do this. I
> >have no idea if it works -- I'll try and get a rails_port instance
> >running over the weekend to test on, if no one can look at it before
> >then.

> what it is, but for most users, they are just looking at an internet
> page and don't know or care about this Ajaxy stuff, nor should they have
> to. It's a hack to overcome limitations of browsers working with Ajax;
> no doubt they will catch up in due course.
>
> As previous conversations have discussed at length, the URL should
> reflect changes as you pan/zoom etc. This requires the use of psuedo
> named anchors and iframes instead of a query portion of the URL. There's
> lots of information out there on the internet on how to achieve this.

Yes. This is a stopgap measure -- there is a todo on my plate (for work)
to implement that, but I'm not going to spend personal time on it before
that. (There are enough other more important bugs to fix first.) I have
the knowledge (I believe) on how to implement it at this point, but it's
*way* more testing with cross-browser stuff than I feel comfortable
doing in the 14 minutes cooking up this patch took me.

3 of the last 4 requests I've seen have explicitly mentioned the word
used word to mean exactly what it does here. It won't help *everyone* --
but it will help some people, and that's the first step.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta