[OSM-dev] Creating Easy Map Embedding

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:21:56 BST 2007

On 25/10/2007, Andrew Turner <ajturner at highearthorbit.com> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2007, at 4:28 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
> >
> > I was probably generalising a bit too much - it has overall served
> > us fine to date. There are limits to how far it will scale though.
>
> Tiles are just static images. The only *server software* that should
> be hit should be Apache. And apache is quite fast/robust.

Yes, but that isn't done today. Tom was talking about the current
setup which involves a ruby script and a couple of Mysql queries for
every tile.

> Why not just put the tiles in an S3 bucket? Let Amazon deal with the
> problem. Or flex one of the other offers of hosting to do this as a
> test-drive. Then put up a DNS to point to it so that if the service
> moves, you can just repoint the DNS.

Yes but we don't actually need S3 to do this. Moving to a more
lightweight serving solution will let us serve more tiles with the
existing hardware.

--
    Jon