[OSM-dev] Navigation vs maps, connectivity, and OSM data

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Tue Oct 30 21:20:58 GMT 2007

Hi Y'all,

I apologize in advance if I am stirring up a hornets nest that has
already been kicked a few times before...and for the long intro...
--
I work on the default scenery for X-Plane, a flight simulator.  We are a
small commercial company with an active user base.  We use GIS data to

Some users pointed me back to OSM as a source for improved vector data
compared to VMAP0.  It occurred to me that OSM also already has the
infrastructure to manage collective editing and integration of a road
grid, something our users want to participate in.  (I get "can I fix the
roads near XX and send it back to you" a lot, but we don't have a way to
let users do this with revision and merge control right now.)

I have looked at the data model and I/O code for JOSM, as well as the
specs for the mapping data in XML and it all looks like stuff we can
work with.  But today I finally got to looking at actual vectors in JOSM
and found a lot of duplicate/overlapping segments - it looks like in
some cases GIS data has been imported directly on top of hand-made
mapping data, potentially without removing the underlying segments.
There also isn't necessarily directional data for the segments (not
surprising considering the source in some cases).
--
So...my stupid newbie questions is: is it a goal of the OSM project to
create a map that can be used for route planning, or only to create a

Thanks for your time!
Ben

--
Scenery Home Page: http://scenery.x-plane.com/