[OSM-dev] Navigation vs maps, connectivity, and OSM data

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Oct 30 21:29:55 GMT 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 05:20:58PM -0400, Ben Supnik wrote:
> So...my stupid newbie questions is: is it a goal of the OSM project to
> create a map that can be used for route planning, or only to create a
> map that describes where there is pavement on the ground?  (In other
> words, do the duplicate segments represent an editing job that needs to
> be done or an acceptable set of map data?)  Or perhaps there isn't a
> project-wide standard for these things?

One of the things I recently did was set up a statewide import for
Massachusetts GIS data. Since then, I've been slowly going through areas
-- starting at my house, and moving out -- looking for bugs in data with
the JOSM validator.

Bugs of the type you're mentioning are typically reported by the JOSM
validator, and I personally have been doing work to clean up all of
these types of errors, as well as bugs in directional routing data
(one-ways, etc.), both via surveying and comparing to other
copyright-free datasources. I targeted towards home first, and since
then have taken to cruising through various areas of the state where
data existed before the import in an attempt to clean it all up.

I can only speak personally, but I definitely consider this type of data
to be a bug. I think that most others would as well.

And when you're ready, you can start helping the project clean it up. :)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta