[OSM-dev] Navigation vs maps, connectivity, and OSM data

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org
Tue Oct 30 23:19:16 GMT 2007

El Martes, 30 de Octubre de 2007, Ben Supnik escribió:

> So...my stupid newbie questions is: is it a goal of the OSM project to
> create a map that can be used for route planning, or only to create a
> map that describes where there is pavement on the ground?

There are as many goals as there are people interested in the project. There
are (lots of) people interested in a route map, there are people interested
in a land use map, and there are lots of geeks with the craziest ideas you
can come around

> (In other words, do the duplicate segments represent an editing job that
> needs to be done

Most of them represent work to be done. E.g. two crossing ways may represent
an untagged tunnel or bridge.

> or an acceptable set of map data?)

Depends on your definition of "acceptable" ;-)

(BTW, please have a look at the wiki page on building heights)

Cheers,
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org>

Para conocer a la gente hay que ir a su casa.- Goethe.