[OSM-dev] Poor placement of lake names in Osmarender 5

Lachlan Rogers lachlan at rogers.name
Mon Sep 3 06:05:11 BST 2007

Hi,

I love what has been done with the rendering in Osmarender 5, and have
already updated most of Canberra (Australia) on the tiles at home layer.
One of the great improvements is names for areas.

However, where the areas are quite irregular the name placement can be
incorrect.  I have found this especially with lakes, as can be seen
at:

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=-35.229065520023155&lon=149.0724775042495&zoom=17&layers=B000F000

and

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=-35.298629582092495&lon=149.11204544306702&zoom=17&layers=B000F000

It seems that area names are rendered at some "centre of mass" point
for the area, but this does not work well for lakes.  How hard would
this be to fix?

- Lachlan