[OSM-dev] Too many slow queries in db

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Sep 4 00:07:07 BST 2007

In message <20070904003537.I31320-100000 at xs2.xs4all.nl>
          Stefan de Konink <skinkie at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
> > Seriously, if you've got a magic way to make a database query
> > a 100 million row table in the blink of an eyelid I'll be only
> > to happy to deploy it.
>
> By prioritizing queries?

How do I prioritise queries in MySQL? Whose are most important
anyway? Yours? Mine?

> In a way putting some thing [1] in front of this *poor* 100 million row
> database because in the current way the system will never be able to scale?

How is a proxy supposed to help? Does it cache responses or something?

> Although that every query walks trough 100 million rows, *sounds* a bit
> absurt.

No, but they frequently read a substantial percentage due to the
index being one dimensional and the data two dimensional. Combined
with table level locking you have a recipe for problems.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/