[OSM-dev] Too many slow queries in db

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 4 00:39:30 BST 2007

Hi,

> Seriously, I think it is (a) get a proper database and (b) find somebody
> with sufficient experience of designing hardware and software solutions
> for massive database to make it work.

Or, if we cannot finance or manage that, cut everything up in chunks
that can be served from not-so-massive databases: Either dividing
stuff on the data side (one database for England, one for every US
state, and so on - with a shared "Osm Zappy" layer on top for those wo
need to make cross-border queries), or dividing stuff on the request
side (with one massive database that gets distributed so that while
having a massive amount of data it doesn't have to shoulder a massive
request load).

Problem is, all these things would require a few good people to design
and test something (and the rest of us to entrust them with doing so);
we're not particularly good at modus operandi, and anyway all good
people on board are busy keeping the ship afloat ;-)

Bye
Frederik