[OSM-dev] Too many slow queries in db

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 22:11:12 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 11:41 -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 19:30 +0100, Jon Burgess wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, for goodness sake, please keep them to yourself!
> >
> > It was late when I replied last night and even now I can not be certain
> > of my figures. Anyway, here goes.
> >
> > I've downloaded all the data from the following directories:
> >
> > AK  AL  AR  AS  AZ  CA  CO  CT  DC  DE  FL  GA  GU  HI  IA  ID  IL  IN
> > KS  KY  LA  MA  MD  ME  MI  MN  MO  MP  MS  MT  NC  ND  OR
>
> You're being mean to my poor web server! ;)
>
> Seriously.  Please don't download them all that way.  I'll count them
> myself using your methods.

I'm not doing this just for the hell of it. I'm downloading them so that
they'll be available on a Mapnik layer either on my home web server or
another layer on the main OSM tile server.

The ones I've downloaded are on the map at:
http://www.jburgess.uklinux.net/tiger-mapnik.html

What do you recommend as a method to acquire the data?

> > This is 33 of the 57 directories and should therefore have over half the
> > complete data set (du -shc * gives 3.1GB). I don't know the size of the
> > complete tiger files so I can't rule out the possibility that there are
> > some very big files which I've not downloaded yet.
>
> > Counting the nodes with:
> >
> > $ gzip -dc */*.gz | grep -c "<node "
> > 95326826
> >
> > Then repeat with segment and way, I get:
> >
> > Node: 95M
> > Segment: 99M
> > Way: 8M
> >
> > Total = 202M objects.
>
> I'm doing this:
>
> 	zcat */*.osm.gz | egrep -c '<(node|segment|way)'
>
> Seem good to you?

Yes that should work.

	Jon