[OSM-dev] josm: Gentoo package and plugins

Nicola Ranaldo ranaldo at unina.it
Sat Sep 8 01:59:54 BST 2007

On Friday 07 September 2007 22:47:02 Andreas Volz wrote:
[...]
> Without this we could only create packages with SVN checkout date as
> version number.

We could release for example osm-server-svn-xxx.ebuild where xxx is the svn
release number and osm-server-svn-9999999.ebuild. The first ebuild checksout
svn release number xxx, the latter the last svn release. Tipically the first
is ~arch keyworded the last has no keywords at all. Some people responsible
of ebuild management releases periodically new xxx + y ebuilds after have
testing those release for a bit. These togheter with other osm related
ebuilds should go in a gentoo overlay with an xml file descriptor accessible
via web and usable with layman.  This implies the user has only to launch
layman -S to sync the overlay and have osm stuff automagically emergeable and
updatable as all other gentoo stuff (an with a bit of control about the
stability). As alternative we could think to open a bug on bugs.gentoo.org
for every new ebuild, and to contact sunrise overlay to include it. This
would give more visibility to the osm stuff and more possibilities to have it
in the main portage tree. Howewer it think this is not good as osm and
related tools does not have officially released tarballs, and changes in svn
happens very often.

I'm following the first way on another projects and friends subscribed to my
overlay are very happy. I gived to some of them svn write access so we manage
all togheter the overlay with a very little bit of work.

Regards

	Nicola Ranaldo