[OSM-dev] Mapnik XML file?

Andreas Volz lists at brachttal.net
Sun Sep 9 11:21:37 BST 2007

Am Sun, 9 Sep 2007 09:17:17 +0200 schrieb Joerg Ostertag:

> > Another first and simple step is to move the Mapnik data
> > from /home/steve/symbols/ to /usr/share/osm/symbols or similar.
>
> Yes please !!!
>
> > This
> > would save some useless sed work without hurting someone.
>
> Yes !!!
>
> > What do you think about these ideas?
>
> I started to collect all the icons/symbols for our maps in the
> svn-directory
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/share/map-icons/.  This
> directory should contain all needed icons. If there are icons missing
> in there, please add them.

Problem: I've no SVN access at OSM. Where could I get it?

> An Overview page with all these Icons can
> be found at
> http://www.gpsdrive.de/development/map-icons/overview.en.shtml The
> mappaint-plugin in josm already uses these icons too. And gpsdrive
> too, ... I also have build two debian package which containe and
> install these icons to /usr/share/map-icons
> They are called
> 	openstreetmap-map-icons
> and
> 	openstreetmap-map-icons-restricted.
> So my suggestion would be to change the osm.xml to retrieve the icons
> from this directory.
>
> Does that sound like a good start/plan?

Ok, looks nice. Some comments:

- The class tags are still used on the website. Also some OSM
unknown tags like "poi" are used. Is that only because nobody removed
them? Or has gpsdrive an own subset of tags?

- Many not OSM supported icons and types are listed. I would build the
feature/icon database "from the other side". The site lists many icons
not known in OSM and then define OSM tags for some icons. My idea is to
do it the other way. Have OSM tags as "index" and define icons for it.
Similar result, but more logic.

- We should really import that stuff into a database. The frontend to
manage and vote features could be much work, but a script that creates a
simple dynamic page like that on gpsdrive.de should be really easy.

I thought about hacking a small script that generates a website with
these icons. But I'm not sure how to do it. Lets discuss about it,
perhaps someone has inovative ideas.

What are the requirements?

1) Create a database model to fill in all tag information.

  1a) Point to various icons from a tag.

2) Icons should stay in /var/www to be displayed and changed by a
website.

3) Icons should stay in /usr/share/map-icons to be used by applications.

-> I know 3) and 4) are contrasts. I've not yet a clean solution for
that.

-> Currently you put icons into SVN. It may be a problem to write icons
to SVN from a website(?).

4) Create a website from database with tags/comments/icons/...

5) Be able to manage (e.g. vote) the tags/icons with a web frontend.

6) Create a Mapnik XML file from database.

7) Create osmarender definition from DB. (I don't know how osmarender
works.)

Any other requirements? Any comments? Any ideas?

regards
Andreas