[OSM-dev] Final kinks in osmosis planet dumping

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 08:31:17 BST 2007

On 9/10/07, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> **** 2. Lack of bound elements.
> planet.rb adds this element at the top of the file:
> <bound box="-90,-180,90,180"
> origin="http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.4" />
>
> osmosis doesn't have the ability to generate a <bound> element at the
> top of the file.  Can we live without this?  It is not a simple problem
> to solve and will require some rework inside osmosis to allow data
> destination tasks to receive bounding box information from data
> generation tasks.  Currently the tasks at each end of a pipeline are
> fairly independent.

FWIW, the interesting part is actually not the bounds (which in the
case of the planet.rb are obviously bogus) but the origin. Long term
the idea is to be a marker that allows clients like JOSM to see if the
data they are loading from a file has compatible IDs with the server
it's uploading to.

So a far as I'm concerned, the bounds can be bogus, but if you can
fill in the origin it would be nice. It's not terribly important
though.

> **** 3. Re-ordered attributes.
> osmosis is writing element attributes in a different order to planet.rb.

Scripts reading XML with regular expression deserve to die. I was
bitten by this just before starting the AND upload, could've been a
catastrophe. IMHO it's a serious bonus point for osmosis that it
actually works properly.

> **** 5. Inclusion of database password on command line.
> Currently the only way to provide a database password to osmosis is on
> the command line.  Presumably this will allow other users on the same
> system to see the password (through the use of ps, top, etc).  If this
> is a problem I'll have to update the database tasks to be able to read a
> properties file containing connection information.

Or allow an .osmosisrc which can be filled in, and the users specify
"connection=foo".

Have a nice day,