[OSM-dev] API 0.5 is on the way

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:56:22 BST 2007

On 9/11/07, Robert Hart <bathterror at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We have combined those two into a shiny new "OSM 0.5" which we hope to
> > deploy in early October, provided that we don't encounter major
> obstacles
> > and provided of course we have the support of the community and those
> > who manage our essential servers (and take the blame if something
> > breaks...).
> > The changeover from 0.4 to 0.5 will cause a server downtime of probably
> > about one day. Due to the structural nature of the changes, it is un-
> > likely that you will have software that can handle 0.4 and 0.5 at the
> > same time; you will have to use one version up to the changeover day,
> > and another version after that.
> A single day sounds somewhat optimistic. The changeover to 0.4 to 0.3
> was forecast to take a weekend but in reality took much longer before
> everything was running smoothly.
> Be careful not to over promise and under deliver. Much better to say
> it'll be a week, and then be done in 3 days!!!

My money's on a month before it's business as usual.  Better to be
pessimistic than have to deal with all the fallout from frustrated users.

is your branch of josm for tracking the mainline, or should developers
> start targeting 0.5 only/as well now?
> Rob
> --
> Robert Hart
> _______________________________________________
> dev mailing list
> dev at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dev
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/attachments/20070912/10585ec8/attachment.html>

More information about the dev mailing list