[OSM-dev] TIGER data show OSM getting slower??

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 12:25:15 BST 2007

On 16/09/2007, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:
> I've been running my TIGER statistics generation program about every 10
> minutes for the duration of the TIGER upload (16 days so far).  I've
> been tracking things like the number of objects uploaded per second and
> the expected time to complete the TIGER upload.
>
> Note that I've been hand-generating these so they won't get updated
> automatically.  In this graph, the expected time in days before
> completing the TIGER upload is shown:
>
> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~daveh/tiger/graphs/days.png
>
> There were some huge swings at first because I was still generating
> TIGER data, and the stats were only showing the completion times for
> generated TIGER data (which was growing).  I think that huge drop
> occurred when I move the upload from my server over to dev.
>
> Note, however, that the upload is slowly taking more and more time.  The
> server is slowing down faster than we can upload data.

You are aware that the days figure is the total time at the current
rate, and not the remaining time right?
ie: it's totalObjects/rate, not (totalObjects - uploadedObjects)/rate

The reason I ask is that the completion date quoted on the stats page
is 9th June, which is now + 262 days... which is about 22 days more
than it should be if you take into account the 32m objects already
uploaded.

The completion date should be more like May sometime.

It may still be slowing down, though it's difficult to say by how much.