[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] FW: OSM stats quote for a paper

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 15:33:40 BST 2007

Barnett, Phillip wrote:

>Sent: 21 September 2007 3:10 PM

>To: David Earl; Frederik Ramm

>Cc: osm-dev; talk at openstreetmap.org

>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] FW: OSM stats quote for a paper

>There are 7845 miles of trunk roads, including motorways in the UK.

>http://www.road-to-nowhere.co.uk/trunk.html

>740,000 named roads, and 'over two million miles' of road network in the

>UK, according to the OS

>http://www.gisdevelopment.net/news/viewn.asp?id=GIS:N_cbedxnitqk

>That presumably excludes Ireland though.

I always wonder how different bodies manage to mangle the numbers so much.
The ones I'm using are from the DFT which collates the information from the
regions in its annual report. The relevant section of the current one is
under 7.6 in the following doc.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/tsgb/2006edition
/sectionsevenroadsandtraffic

On the other hand, the OS is the body that has to plot them all so perhaps
their figure is better. Its certainly not comparable since I suspect that
the OS includes a lot of ways that are navigable but are not in the main dft
stats.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson