[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] FW: OSM stats quote for a paper

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Sep 21 15:34:58 BST 2007

On 21/09/2007 15:25, Andy Robinson wrote:
>From my own experience I know that when I map urban areas systematically by
> bike (that is from a clean empty space with no Yahoo imagery to a "complete"
> map), I do so at a rate of 10km per hour with a further one hour needed for
> editing for every hour on the bike.

That corresponds almost exactly with my experience too(*); and since I
reckon an hour is about 1300 population, that would give about 130
people per km., rather than 200. But clearly it's in the right ballpark.

David

(*not counting time to get to and from start of mapping area which is
getting more now as I have to go further afield for virgin territory).