[OSM-dev] Objects with the same key multiple times?

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 30 17:19:40 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 00:10 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <1191019129.5050.195.camel at localhost.localdomain>
>           Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > This object really does have two tags with amenity= in the database:
> >
> > mysql> select tags from current_nodes where id=44210213;
> > +----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > | tags                                                                                   |
> > +----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > | AND_nodes=520152;AND_nosr_p=10015820;amenity=parking;amenity=fuel;name=N322;source=AND |
> > +----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> >
> > Do we want to officially support objects with the same key multiple
> > times or do we want to prevent it?
>
> As far as I am aware it is, and has always been, supported. The only
> reason you don't see it often is that most, if not all, of the editors
> don't allow you to do it.

OK, let me rephrase the question.

The API supports multiple tags with the same key. Several other OSM
tools like JOSM and the Mapnik renderer do not handle these.

Should we encourage people to use multiple keys and raise bugs against
the applications to support this?

Or should we advocate using a single unique key tag and use something
like ':' to split multiple entries in the value field.

	Jon