[OSM-dev] Objects with the same key multiple times?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Sep 30 18:22:52 BST 2007

Hi,

> The API supports multiple tags with the same key.

And always did.

> Several other OSM
> tools like JOSM and the Mapnik renderer do not handle these.

And never did :-)

In fact, if you download something with two tags of the same name in
JOSM and somehow change the object and upload, one of the tags will be
lost.

> Should we encourage people to use multiple keys and raise bugs against
> the applications to support this?
> Or should we advocate using a single unique key tag and use something
> like ':' to split multiple entries in the value field.

I know it's the cheap way out but as a developer I'd really like to
drop these "multi tags" because working with hash tables for the tags
is so convenient.

Bye
Frederik