[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql(-ng)?

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Apr 9 11:23:29 BST 2008

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> - Direct loading of planet-diffs

I've been knocking together a python script to load all the OSM data into
Postgresql and generate the tables needed for Mapnik, with support for
the Osmosis diffs.  The problems I have at the moment are:

1. It needs a lot of disk space for the database because you need to
store the entire OSM dataset rather than just the cut-down data used by
Mapnik
2. The initial import of the planet data is slooowww.  Partly because it
is Python (which I used to make development quicker with the aim or
porting to C at a later date if necessary), but mostly just due to the
amount of data being stuffed into Postgres.  I guess this isn't a big deal
since once the initial import is done you can import diffs relatively
quickly.
3. I chose to use the pgdb library to talk to Postgresql, but it turns out
that it doesn't support cursors properly so this is causing me some issues
when selecting large datasets from the DB.

What kind of figures are we talking about for disk space and time needed
to do a planet import with osm2pgsql in slim mode?  I'm interested in
whether you've got a better solution to me. :)

  - Steve