[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql(-ng)?

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 10:42:48 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout
<kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Short version: should I just commit my changes to SVN in the current
>  directory, or make a new one?
>
>  Long version: I've hacked away at osm2pgsql and made the following changes:
>
>  - List of tags read from file
>  - slim mode works again
>  - relations properly supported
>  - More efficient DB usage
>
>  It's quite a lot of changes and local regression testing (loading the
>  whole of belgium) shows you get the same results as what's currently
>  in SVN. With these changes steps have been been to allow the following
>  (some have futher to go than others):
>
>  - Direct loading of planet-diffs
>  - Multipolygons only taking tags from outer-ring
>  - Relations being able to handle more stuff (in slim mode any object
>  can be referred to)
>  - More flexibility in how tags are handled
>
>  I've not got the maximum performance for slim-mode yet, there are
>  still some low hanging fruit. I think this is the way of the future,
>  since it will allow diffs to be applied.
>
>  Anyway, to the question at hand: would people mind if I just committed
>  it. You can always get the current version by updating to -r7313. Or
>  would people like to see it as a new branch. I'd prefer only keeping
>  one branch but I'll go with the majority.

These changes sound really cool... I really want to be able to apply
diffs rather than download the whole planet each week

I'd say commit in place if it's tested to produce the same results,
but faster, fixed, and more flexible.. nothing to lose. Unless someone
else has been making similar changes and we have a competition then I
don't see a problem personally.

I have to manage diffs either way if I want to use it, so I really don't mind.

Dave