[OSM-dev] Planet dump updates to include relations as an extra file

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:47:31 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Given that #relations < #ways < #nodes, and you (generally) need to
> know about all the relations before you process the ways, and you need
> to know which ways you are interested in before deciding which nodes
> to keep - would it not make sense to dump the relations into the file
> first, followed by the ways, then the nodes last?
>
> Albeit I'm only thinking of osm2pgsql, maybe there's other things that
> wouldn't work this way round.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Since the nodes are the only entities that contain spatial information,
sometimes they're needed first, especially for extracting a bounding box.
I'm thinking of Osmosis, in particular, but there are probably other
applications that assume the nodes->ways->relations order. It might be handy
to have each of the entity types in their own file so clients could deal
with them however they like, but that could be accomplished pretty quickly
by postprocessing the planet file.

Karl