[OSM-dev] Planet dump updates to include relations as an extra file

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sun Apr 13 22:11:45 BST 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Marcus Wolschon <Marcus at wolschon.biz> wrote:

>  Dirk-Lüder Kreie schrieb:
>
> | .oO(The only thing I can see with using the "nodes first" approach is,
>  | that it might easier to cut bboxes from the file, since the nodes are
>  | the objects carrying the georaphical positions.
>  | IIRC it is possible to simply concatenate bzip2 files to get one large
>  | file that will, upon decompression, result in the uncompressed files
>  | concatenated.
>
>  This is true for gzip, not bzip2 and the resulting gzip-files cannot be
>  reat by java anymore.

It's true of bzip2.
Try it:
cat 1.txt.bz2 2.txt.bz2 3.txt.bz2 | bzcat

No idea if java can cope with that

> Also you are missing one important point:
>  The resulting file is no longer a XML-file.

Yeah, this is the tricky bit.
It's not hard to get around this by creative shell scripting and
pipes, but getting an app to load it as other than stdin wouldn't be
fun.
Ofcourse this only affects programs that can't be modified, or aren't
easily extendable to take more inputs.

Dave