[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] New Export Tab

Patrick Weber p.weber at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Apr 21 10:10:32 BST 2008

Axel von Matern wrote:
> Yea the export tab is a great leap forward for this project! Makes it
> so much more useful then any other map service! Thanks!!!!
>
> (WARNING POSSIBLE FEATURE REQUEST)
> - Is it possible to export larger chunks of the maps at the maximum
> level of detail?
I guess the size of the export really is a question of performance, as
there's only a finite amount of processing power that can be devoted to
the export functionality. If you need such larger chunks, you could try
and download successive bits of the extent you need and paste them
together again, or write a custom script that directly downloads the
relevant tiles. Also, you could try Kosmos as an alternative rendering
engine.

> (WARNING DWEEB QUESTIONS)
> - Is it possible to import the XML-file into Illustrator?
> - When I use this map, how can I tell the scale and projection when
> printing? Would it be correct just to say WGS84? And calculate the
> scale manually. Would that be enough to get that professional touch?
The projection issue would be solved by the integration of world files
or geoaware formats as proposed. I guess thats a job for phase two.