[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] New Export Tab

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 19:48:49 BST 2008

From: Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>

> > I'd like to see GPS export. Anyone want to work together on a mkgmap
> > service? Or does one exist already?
>
> I don't understand what you mean? What is GPS export?

I want to put a map on my Garmin GPS.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mkgmap

> Thinking about it more, if you allow requests that are so slow they
> have to be queued then you things get vastly more complicated because
> you have to start worrying about how to manage the queue and ensure
> you don't accept more requests than you can actually process.

This wouldn't need to be something OSM export itself would need to worry about, but the third party service.

However if export to Garmin could run on the OSM servers, that would be easiest. Afaik, it's not terribly computationally intensive.

-Mikel