[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] New Export Tab

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 10:15:55 BST 2008

2008/4/21 Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>:

> From: Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>
>

> > > I'd like to see GPS export. Anyone want to work together on a mkgmap
> > > service? Or does one exist already?
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean? What is GPS export?
>
> I want to put a map on my Garmin GPS.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mkgmap
>

> > Thinking about it more, if you allow requests that are so slow they
> > have to be queued then you things get vastly more complicated because
> > you have to start worrying about how to manage the queue and ensure
> > you don't accept more requests than you can actually process.
>
> This wouldn't need to be something OSM export itself would need to worry
> about, but the third party service.
>
> However if export to Garmin could run on the OSM servers, that would be
> easiest. Afaik, it's not terribly computationally intensive.

To be honest, I don't see it being particularly useful to do this -
much easier just to offer pre-made garmin files for different
countries e.g. UK, Germany or regions e.g. Benelux.

Or in other words, just automated the production, and work on the
availability of maps. Most people (outside the community) just want to
get the map on their gps, rather than fiddle about with picking areas
and so on.

Cheers,
Andy