[OSM-dev] "See Data", a UI for browsing OSM data in the main map

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Apr 23 12:25:09 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:48:58PM +0300, Lauri Hahne wrote:
> 2008/4/23 Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at sspaeth.de>:
>
> > Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > > My project over the weekend and yesterday:
> > >

> > http://home.crschmidt.net:3000/?lat=51.51286700015569&lon=-0.10606014999999998&zoom=18
> >
> > This is a great way which allows newcomers to fix up their street name
> > if speled incorrectly or allow them to make a street one-way.
> >
> > It's also useful for more powerful users (which tags are on that
> > street?) rather than having to start up JOSM and paste in the bbox URL.
> >
> > spaetz
> >

> Isn't that what's Potlatch for.. (if we forget that P. is malum in se (or at
> least used to be))
>
> The current positioning of the 'see data' link next to permalink is pretty
> bad design. Would be much better to have a tab for it or a button below the
> zoom bar.

Funny, because I've heard:
  * 4 people tell me that a tab was the wrong place to put it
  * 3 people tell me it shouldn't be in the map at all, but over on the
    left like the namefinder
  * 1 person tell me it doesn't belong on the main page a all

I think that everyone is going to disagree on the placement here. I've
generally come to agreement with the idea that a tab is the wrong
interface for this particular task. Other than that, I don't have any
strong preference.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt