[OSM-dev] "See Data", a UI for browsing OSM data in the main map

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:02:32 BST 2008

2008/4/23 Lauri Hahne <lauri.hahne at gmail.com>:

> Isn't that what's Potlatch for.. (if we forget that P. is malum in se (or at
> least used to be))

Perhaps - but consider the two biggest points of agreement between all
on the Great Potlatch Debate:

1. It offers the most immediate way to update the map data
2. It offers the easiest way for newbies to make a mess.

There are people who would be very able and willing to enter missing
street names and correct typos, but who would not have the editing
skills to avoid moving nodes around by mistake. A higher-level tool
that exposes only the most important meta-data is very useful. In
fact, I'd imagine it shouldn't even allow just any meta-data changes,
at least by default. I'm thinking more of a tool that allows users to
edit specific fixed attribute values:

name
name:xx
ref
int_ref
(other refs)
place (maybe, but if so, constrain values to the valid ones)
oneway (likewise - I saw a street yesterday with something like
"oneway=yes (south and west)")

My instinct is _not_ to expose even "highway", but no doubt others
will disagree.

One last point - there's no reason that Potlatch couldn't do all these
things using a dedicated "move-nothing" mode, it certainly offers a
lot of opportunities to reuse the preset selectors.

Dermot