[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 01:13:01 BST 2008

> That's essentially the same as the shaping issue with Arabic isn't
> it? Which as Jon says, was solved in mapnik by using the icu library
> which is supposed to know about these things.

Thanks for icu reference

> > For the web site, yes I think we can rely on the browser for this, with
> > testing of course. For other pieces of the ecosystem, it will need more
> > inquiry, if there's time this summer. I am aware that IndicTrans has been
> > working on an open source solution, but not sure how much work it will be
> > to integrate.
>
> Translating the web site is a major problem in and off itself. That's
> nothing to do with what languages are supported, it's all to do with
> the infrastructure and how you separate translatable elements from code
> cleanly.

I was only referring to the rendering of characters in the browser, not to the main task to i18n and l10n the rails_port.
I'm pretty familiar with the scale of the task, having helped build the infrastructure at yahoo .. not that we couldn't use all the help we can get with advice and suggestions.

Mikel