[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Thu Apr 24 06:07:28 BST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:32:29 +0530
"Arindam Ghosh" <makghosh at gmail.com> wrote:

(Re your other message about trying to meet up, it is not essential
right now. We can try to get together at one of the various FOSS
events in India, or we can have you come visit us at Sarai in Delhi
where we do a fair amount of work on Indian language localisation
issues.)

> 2008/4/24 Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>:
>

> > I was only referring to the rendering of characters in the browser, not to
> > the main task to i18n and l10n the rails_port.
>
> yeah...initially we need to first setup the i18n in the rails_port.

I am attaching some snippets from a document on using Unicode with
RoR that I wrote up for my own benefit while trying to set up a Rails
site with a mysql backend to handle Indian language input. Hopefully
it will be of some help.

> And for now i guess we can trust on mapnik and its' icu library.
[...]

Yes, ICU does a pretty decent job at Indian languages, and Unicode.
I will have to look at Mapnik.

Regards,
Gora