[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Apr 24 08:27:23 BST 2008

In message <20080424103728.08a399ef at anubis>
        Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:32:29 +0530
> "Arindam Ghosh" <makghosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/4/24 Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>:
>>

>> > I was only referring to the rendering of characters in the browser, not to
>> > the main task to i18n and l10n the rails_port.
>>
>> yeah...initially we need to first setup the i18n in the rails_port.
>
> I am attaching some snippets from a document on using Unicode with
> RoR that I wrote up for my own benefit while trying to set up a Rails
> site with a mysql backend to handle Indian language input. Hopefully
> it will be of some help.

Most of what is listed in that document is long since done. The
database holds unicode and can return it just fine.

Only the second bit (using gettext) has not been done.

The real question to my mind is whether gettext is the best solution
to translating the web site, or whether there is something better.

The main advantage of gettext is probably that there will more tools
for working with that than with anything else, and it looks like it
is reasonably well integrated.

The disadvantage is that I suspect it will make quite a mess of our
views - the only example I can see on the cited web page of a view
being translated is for a very simple one with little translatable
text.

Then again, pretty much every possible solution that I've looked at
would make quite a mess of the views, so it may be that we just have
to accept that, grit our teeth, and go with it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/