[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Thu Apr 24 08:56:21 BST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:27:23 +0100
Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> In message <20080424103728.08a399ef at anubis>
>         Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> wrote:
[...]
> > I am attaching some snippets from a document on using Unicode with
> > RoR that I wrote up for my own benefit while trying to set up a Rails
> > site with a mysql backend to handle Indian language input. Hopefully
> > it will be of some help.
>
> Most of what is listed in that document is long since done. The
> database holds unicode and can return it just fine.

Great. Most of that was pretty elementary stuff, though it must
have taken me at least a couple days to work through all this
initially. I was hoping that it might help Arindam get started
on a local copy. However, as per your other message, I agree that
making a new internationalisation branch is the way to go.

> Only the second bit (using gettext) has not been done.
>
> The real question to my mind is whether gettext is the best solution
> to translating the web site, or whether there is something better.

> The main advantage of gettext is probably that there will more tools
> for working with that than with anything else, and it looks like it
> is reasonably well integrated.

I am quite strongly in favour of gettext mainly because of the reason
that you cite above, and also because it is well-tested, and does a
good job of separating the roles of the programmer and the translator.

> The disadvantage is that I suspect it will make quite a mess of our
> views - the only example I can see on the cited web page of a view
> being translated is for a very simple one with little translatable
> text.
[...]

Hmm, I will have to actually try this out with a small Rails application
before commenting further. Let me also try getting a local copy of the
OSM site up and running over this weekend.

Regards,
Gora