[OSM-dev] OSM Notes API, Issue Tracking

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Apr 24 12:42:57 BST 2008

In message <20080424120202.z829rq1zk804c8ws at webmail.systemed.net>
        Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Adam Boardman wrote:
>
>> The other querys were about parsing GPX files for waypoints and saving
>> named ones to the notes db. In particular the notion that you can end up
>> with things other than what you want as waypoints in gpx files. I dont
>> know the best way of working on that, perhaps an extra tickbox when
>> uploading a gpx file to indicate that the waypoints in this file are
>> from a clean source and relivant to mapping?
>
> Waypoints should be timestamped, so you could have a filter (on by
> default, but optional) that would not import any waypoints outside the
> timestamp range of the tracklog.

I don't object in principle to importing waypoints, and I have indeed
considered adding that functionality myself in the past. I think they
are a different class of object to the notes/tickets concept though as
they will mostly only have meaning to the person that recorded them.

My idea was always to record GPS waypoints alongside the track data
and return it when GPS data for an area was downloaded.

The reason why I never went ahead and implemented that was that I found
this note in the wiki:

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/FAQ#Why_didn.27t_my_GPX_file_upload_properly.3F

Which explains that it is deliberate because of some less than ideal
behaviour on the part of Garmin units.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)