[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Aug 7 10:03:05 BST 2008

> Do you intend to save all the data OSM has
> or only support a subset required for routing
> and map-rendering?

The idea is to have a binary format specification.
The actual organization of the files will be up to the application.

> Do you think about floating-point or fixed-point
> coordinates?

This is one of the things to discuss. For mobile applications, fixed-point
is the most efficient but we have to balance this with the loss of
precision.
Another point is to determine whether the binary format should be
"reversible" into XML OSM.

> We could start by collecting the requirements of everyone.

More than the requirements, the actual existing implementations.
But, as I said, I'd like to be sure that we reach a criticial mass before
spending hours documenting my own implementation.