[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Thu Aug 7 10:23:17 BST 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:03:05 +0200, "Chris Browet" <cbro at semperpax.com> wrote:

>> Do you intend to save all the data OSM has
>> or only support a subset required for routing
>> and map-rendering?
>

> The idea is to have a binary format specification.
> The actual organization of the files will be up to the application.

Actually I ment what kind of features this format shall support?
Do you want to only include streets?
Do you want comments?
Id-numbers of nodes and ways for updates?
Include all tags or only a small selection?
include geographic featues required for map-rendering on the
device or only routable streets?
Include the timestamps present in OSM-XML?
Save ways their nodes as 2 entity-types or include the node-locations
in the way?

Marcus