[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 8 09:34:54 BST 2008

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Jan Peter Stotz wrote:

> May be WAP WAP Binary XML (WBXML) encoding [1] would be a possible
> solution? It significantly reduces the size of data to be transfered
> while keeping the compatibility to the current data format. The
> transportation could be still HTTP or a different binary protocol with a
> higher efficiency.

A binary XML format would be better to parse for an XML processor. But OSM
data is pretty structured. The point is that for line transfers a pretty
efficient format can be choosen that is totally unparsible by embedded
devices.

Since the subject suggest mobile developers; they might only be interested
in a derrivative format that even *not* includes some information, and has
a high focus on routing. Now I was always teached that if something
focusses on one thing it will need to make compromises.

Binary XML is cute if there is an efficient parser. But I presume it would
work as great as any other database format specification. I wonder if even
OSM in SQLite will give better line speeds.

Stefan