[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format

Jan Peter Stotz jpstotz at gmx.de
Fri Aug 8 09:17:58 BST 2008

Chris Browet wrote:
> We all have the same problem: the XML OSM format is not efficient for
> mobile devices.
> For the time being, we all develop our own solution to transform the XML
> in whatever binary format suitable for a mobile application, often
> forcing the user to use a specific desktop application for the
> transformation.

May be WAP WAP Binary XML (WBXML) encoding [1] would be a possible
solution? It significantly reduces the size of data to be transfered
while keeping the compatibility to the current data format. The
transportation could be still HTTP or a different binary protocol with a
higher efficiency.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wbxml/

Jan