[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Fri Aug 8 09:41:16 BST 2008

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:17:58 +0200, Jan Peter Stotz <jpstotz at gmx.de> wrote:
> Chris Browet wrote:
>> We all have the same problem: the XML OSM format is not efficient for
>> mobile devices.
>> For the time being, we all develop our own solution to transform the XML
>> in whatever binary format suitable for a mobile application, often
>> forcing the user to use a specific desktop application for the
>> transformation.
>
> May be WAP WAP Binary XML (WBXML) encoding [1] would be a possible
> solution? It significantly reduces the size of data to be transfered
> while keeping the compatibility to the current data format. The
> transportation could be still HTTP or a different binary protocol with a
> higher efficiency.

So, are we talking about storage or transport?
I was talking about a storage-format (where of cause
offering already compressed maps in that format over
a network is possible).

Do we have a problem with gzip-compressed xml for transport as it is?
I guess a good, indexed binary storage-format is much more pressing.

Marcus