[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Fri Aug 8 09:56:33 BST 2008

> > May be WAP WAP Binary XML (WBXML) encoding [1] would be a possible
> > solution? It significantly reduces the size of data to be transfered
> > while keeping the compatibility to the current data format. The
> > transportation could be still HTTP or a different binary protocol with a
> > higher efficiency.
>
> So, are we talking about storage or transport?
> I was talking about a storage-format (where of cause
> offering already compressed maps in that format over
> a network is possible).

Yeah,  definitely storage format. Network protocols are totally irrelevant,
here.

> Do we have a problem with gzip-compressed xml for transport as it is?
> I guess a good, indexed binary storage-format is much more pressing.

Even compressed data (as a whole) is irrelevant. It's a non-sense to try to
ungzip an xml on a mobile.

On a general note, it would be nice if people who never developed on an
embedded device kept their thought for themselves.
Developing for a device with a processor at 200Mhz and with 32Mb RAM is a
world apart ;-)

- Chris -