[OSM-dev] Question: Symbols in JOSM

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 19:47:27 BST 2008

m*sh wrote:
> I am trying to put my data into OSM best as I can and in a manner that
> will be useful for those interested in the specific areas, but I'd
> actually be glad if this doesnt take as long as it took me to collect the
> data (which is five and a half year now).

I would recommend the following approach:
1. First do your conversion to OSM data locally only
2. Using some OSM renderer (Mapnik, Osmarender, Kosmos...) as a testbed
try to improve your conversion algorithm as much as possible.
3. Only after you're satisfied that the renderer (using the "standard"
rendering rules) displays your data properly, upload it to the OSM server.

I wouldn't recommend keeping the tags meant for ways (tracktype,
surface, ...) on your nodes. It produces a lot of duplication and is
very difficult to maintain after it has been uploaded to the OSM server.
And you (and everybody else in your area) will have problems with SW
like JOSM using this data.

Regards,
Igor

--