[OSM-dev] coastline

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 13 19:37:43 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 20:29 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > This was happening almost every week until the hypercube machine started
> > to run into problems. I don't know yet whether the service will resume
> > or if I'll have to continue generating them on the tile server. It takes
> > roughly 12 hours of CPU time to generate the shapefiles. If we wanted
> > them in place before the rendering was started then this would delay the
> > whole Mapnik rendering update.
>
> FWIW, I've fixed the process so it's much quicker now, only a couple
> of hours, probably less than it takes to load the planet dump.

Could you put the changes in SVN?

I've just been tweaking the closeshp code to fix some bugs and currently
have it running about 10 times faster by holding all the shapefiles in
memory (needs around 1GB of ram).

I've also been experimenting with changes to allow it to generate
shapefiles suitable for lower zoom levels.

> The lack of updates recently has more to do with problems processing
> the daily diffs. I'm really hoping it will be working again
> tomorrow...

It will be good to see the coastline error checker back in action again.

> Have a nice day,

	Jon