[OSM-dev] coastline

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 19:53:11 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, I've fixed the process so it's much quicker now, only a couple
>> of hours, probably less than it takes to load the planet dump.
>
> Could you put the changes in SVN?

Can do. Give me an hour.

> I've just been tweaking the closeshp code to fix some bugs and currently
> have it running about 10 times faster by holding all the shapefiles in
> memory (needs around 1GB of ram).

I approached it the other way: I generate simplified versions of the
really long ways (the multi-million point ones) and work out which
tiles don't intersect with any of them. For the no intersection tiles
(>90% of them) it only looks at the simplified ways. Much much faster.

> I've also been experimenting with changes to allow it to generate
> shapefiles suitable for lower zoom levels.

That would be cool. You probably do some kind of simplification also
and then run the process on the simplied ways with large blocks,
right?

Have a nice day,